As the weather, although still warm is heading towards lower temperatures. I thought it might be prudent to offer up a couple of warmer dishes that are quick to make, in fact you c ould make them both in advance to savour at you will.What could be better than coming home to a quickly re heated bowl of creamy pumpkin soup with a little kick from the Thai herbs, or a sweet treat of fruit crumble with hot custard.
Multi-award winning master chef Paul Rowan has more than 30 years’ experience in the international hospitality industry. He ran the upmarket Lower Hutt restaurant Mange Tout for four years before taking up a group executive chef position in Wellington – a role he had previously performed at numerous UK venues including the Hilton International. Paul and his wife Rachel opened The Empire in Jackson Street in late 2009. This popular and successful multi-award winning gastro pub has now been transformed into The Butcher and Brewer.
THAI PUMPKIN AND PARSNIP SOUP
- 1KG PUMPKIN-BUTTERNUT SQUASH PEELED
- A LITTLE OLIVE OIL
- 500G PEELED AND CHOPPED PARSNIP
- 1 ONION PEELED AND CHOPPED
- ½ TSP GARLIC PUREE
- 1TBS GINGER
- 1 LEMON GRASS CRUSHED
- 3-4 TSPN THAI RED CURRY PASTE
- 4OOML COCONUT MILK
- 850 ML VEG STOCK
- LIME JUICE/SUGAR TO TASTE
- 1 DE SEEDED RED CHILLI CUT INTO FINE RIBBONS
- ROAST SQUASH +PARSNIP IN OVEN FOR 25 MINUTES.
- SAUTE ONION IN SAUCEPAN FOR TWO MINUTES THEN ADD RED CURRY AND STIR TILL FRAGRANT.
- ADD GARLIC, GINGER, LEMON GRASS STIR AND ADD VEG STOCK, PUMPKIN AND PARSNIP.
- BRING TO BOIL AND SIMMER FOR 20 MINUTES. ADD COCONUT MILK AND SIMMER FOR A FURTHER 10-15 MINUTES THEN PUREE (FOR A SMOOTHER SOUP PASS THROUGH A SIEVE).
- ADJUST TASTE WITH LIME JUICE AND SUGAR.
- SERVE IN A BOWL TOPPED WITH A SWIRL OF COCONUT MILK, FINE RIBBONS OF CHILLI AND SOME BROKEN LEAVES OF CORIANDER.
APPLE + RASPBERRY CRUMBLE
- 300G COOKING APPLES (BRAEBURN) PEEL, DE CORE AND SLICE
- 120G SOFT FRUITS, RASPBERRY/BLACKBERRY (FROZEN IF FRESH NOT AVAILABLE)
- 70G CASTER SUGAR
- 30G SOFT DEMERERA SUGAR
- PINCH OF MIXED SPICE
- 120G PLAIN FLOUR
- 60G BUTTER + 30G FOR THE APPLE/RASPBERRY COMPOTE
- SIEVE THE FLOUR. ADD THE BUTTER AND RUB THROUGH THE FINGERS TILL YOU HAVE A CRUMBLE MIX THEN ADD IN THE SUGAR.
- PLACE CRUMBLE MIX ON A LINED BAKING SHEET AND BAKE TURNING OCCASIONALY TILL COOKED. REMOVE FROM OVEN AND PUT TO ONE SIDE.
- IN A SAUCE PAN PUT 30G BUTTER, DEMERERA SUGAR AND MIXED SPICE AND COOK TO A LIGHT CARAMEL.
- ADD IN APPLES AND STIR THROUGH. COOK FOR A FEW MINUTES UTIL STARTING TO SOFTEN THEN ADD IN SOFT FRUITS.
- COVER WITH A LID AND COOK FOR TWO MINUTES THEN REMOVE FROM THE HEAT AND LEAVE TO ONE SIDE.
- AFTER FOUR MINUTES REMOVE LID AND PUT MIX INTO WHATEVER COOKING BOWL YOU ARE USING AND SPRINKLE ON CRUMBLE.
- BAKE FOR FIVE –10 MINUTES IN A MODERATE OVEN AND SERVE WITH CUSTARD.