Fatoush Salad (Lebanese bread salad) Vibrant Hutt - Eponymous Epicurean Column - September 2018 Originally…
Well we just had Paddys Day at the Butcher and Brewer and of course I had to make my famous Irish stew which is always popular and I thought Why not share the recipe so you can have a go yourself at home
You can also make this with neck end of lamb which is more traditional and has the benefit of making a stock as it cooks .You just have to remove the bones at the end though so it depends weather you can be bothered or not it’s up to you.
3-4KG DICED LAMB
2KG CARROTS PEELED AND MEDIUM PIECES
4 ONIONS, PEELED AND SLICED
2 CELERY STICKS CUT INTO SMALL PIECES
2-3KG WAXY POTATOES DICED
2 BAY LEAVES
SMALL BUNCH THYME
4-5 LITRES LAMB STOCK. CHCIEKN STOCK WILL SUFFICE.
- TOSS LAMB IN SEASONED FLOUR AND SHAKE OFF EXCESS,BROWN LAMB IN SMALL BATCHES IN A HOT PAN , REMOVE FROM PAN INTO A COLLANDER
- SAUTE VEGETABLES IN PAN AND THEN DEGLAZE WITH STOCK (WHICH JUST MEANS POUR IN STOCK AND SCRAPE UP ALL THE GOEY BITS ON THE BOTTOM OF THE PAN AS THAT’S WERE THE FLAVOUR IS )
- BRING TO SIMMER AND ADD LAMB AND ANY JUICES FROM THE COLLANDER, AND SEASON WITH SALT AND PEPPER, ADD IN BAY LEAVES AND THYME AND SIMMER FOR 1 HR.
- ADD IN POTATOES AND SIMMER TILL JUST COOKED
- REDUCE LIQUID IF NEEDED AND SEASON WITH SALT AND A GOOD AMOUNT OF FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER
- SERVE WITH IRISH SODA BREAD AND BRAISED/PICKLED RED CABBAGE, OR BEETROOT.